Out with the old…in with the new! That’s the saying, right? We’re taking “spring cleaning” to a whole new level today to talk about the exciting (and legal) tasks to do before getting married! Sometimes, brides and grooms get so caught up in the fun aspects of planning their weddings that they forget that the legal necessities. Obtaining a marriage license and legally changing your name may seem like HUGE tasks to manage, however the processes are quite simple and our step-by-step guide is everything you need to make them happen!
While our consultants will travel anywhere and everywhere to assist couples in the planning process, our office is based in Raleigh, North Carolina, so we’re giving you the step-by-step process of how we do it here in NC!
The marriage license fee is $60 cash. Yes, cash! The Register of Deeds office issues marriage licenses that can be used in any county in North Carolina—you can receive and use a marriage license FROM any county, IN any county. The license is good immediately upon issuance and is valid for 60 days. Applicants must show their valid ID, proof of social security number and sign the marriage license at the Wake County Register of Deeds office. Marriage licenses are issued between 8:30 AM and 4:45 PM, Monday through Friday, excluding Wake County-observed holidays. It is necessary for couples to arrive at the office well before 4:45 PM to complete the paperwork necessary to obtain a marriage license. Couples applying between 12:30-2:30 PM may expect a wait time up to one hour. Also, if you are obtaining a marriage license on a Friday or at the end of the month, please allow extra time for processing; these are extra busy days!
You can fill out the online marriage license application at: https://services.wakegov.com/webinquiry/marriageapplication.aspx
Legal Name Change:
- Need to get a certified copy of marriage license (see above).
- Wait at least 10 days after the ceremony to make sure license is returned to Register of Deeds. You may visit the office or request it by mail at: P.O Box 1897, Raleigh, NC 27602 and include:
- Name of bride and groom
- Date of marriage
- Address where copies should be mailed
- $10 each payable by money order or check
- Present certified copy of license to Social Security Administration: 4701 Old Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC
- Monday-Friday 9:00 AM – 3:30 PM.
- Wait 24 hours before going to the Department of Motor Vehicles to update your driver’s license
We hope these easy steps help in your transition to newlywed life! Now, time to celebrate! Monogram something new or check out this heirloom marriage certificate in the Southern Weddings Shop! xoxo, A Southern Soiree